I had this issue and the fix was to make sure in
SERVICE_NAME is a valid service name in your database. To find out valid service names, you can use the following query in oracle:
select value from v$parameter where name='service_names'
Once I updated
TEST = (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = *<validhost>*)(PORT = *<validport>*)) ) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SERVICE_NAME = *<servicenamefromDB>*) ) )
then I ran:
sqlplus [email protected]
Success! The listener is basically telling you that whatever service_name you are using isn’t a valid service according to the DB.
(*I was running sqlplus from Win7 client workstation to remote DB and blame the DBAs 😉 *)