It seems to me you tried to install a hex editor and ended up in the wrong tool (Plug-In)
Converter (ASCII -> HEX) as mentioned in your question above.
The installation process of the HexEditor is somewhat confusing because it is currently available only in the
Plugins Admin for the 32-bit version.
A simple solution is to install a Notepad++ x32 version on a USB stick (e.g. using PortableApps).
- unzip the appropriate downloaded zipfile and open that containing folder (or have the zipfile open in windows explorer)
- In Notepad++, use Plugins > Open Plugins Folder.
- In the newly-opened plugins folder, add a subfolder HexEditor.
- Copy the
HexEditor.dllfrom the zipfile into the HexEditor subfolder… so it should be at
- Close all open windows of Notepad++.
- Restart Notepad++ again.
- HexEditor should be available in the Plugins menu, and HexEditor.dll should be listed in the ? > Debug Info plugins list.
Successfully tested by Notepad++ Version 7.8.5 64bit on Windows 10. For further information see the links above. Please note a UAC problem, i.e. run Notepad++ as Administrator.